Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Tuesday Update - Surgery Still On as of Now

Cathy and I just spoke to my doctor, and as of now the surgery is still on for 3 PM today - although there is significant doubt that it will happen today as afternoon surgeries are often postponed, and the surgical team is concerned that the 2 PM surgery will run long as it's very complicated. But for now, it's on, so I haven't been able to eat or drink today - and will probably only find out it's called off (if it is) pretty close to 3 PM.

Dr Advani is advising delaying the surgery to Monday if it is scrubbed today, as the only other possibility is Friday, and she's worried about hospital staffing and attention over the Thanksgiving weekend. So if it is cancelled, they'll tank me up with blood/platelets, and some quick (push) chemo, and send me on my way tomorrow. I'd come back for daily blood tests at the ITA, and get platelets/blood as required, and come back Sunday night for Monday surgery.

In some ways I'd rather it be delayed, but I'm of course pretty interested in whether this is going to work (i.e. removal of spleen helping counts stay up). Dr Advani pointed out that I'm pretty "challenged" already with my "cell-generating factories", as not only is the cancer holding them back, but because I had a recent stem cell transplant, they're not back to full capacity following that (I'd heard it takes 18 months, I'm only 5 months post-transplant). But the hope is the spleen removal will help enough that I can have the chemos they'd like to give me to get the current relapse into full remission and be able to try the unrelated matched donor allo transplant.

That's all for now...I'll update today for sure if the surgery is cancelled.

No comments: